First Kyu to (Shodan) First Dan (final Brown to first degree Black Belt)
- From zenkutsu-dachi (front stance), gedan-barai (downward block)
- Sanbon zuki—Oizuki (three punches—head, body, body)
- Sanbon zuki—Gyakuzuki (three punches—body, head, body)
- Age-uke, gedan-barai, gyakuzuki (rising block, downward block, reverse punch)
- Soto-uke, enpi-uchi, uraken, gyakuzuki (outer block, elbow strike, back fist, reverse punch)
- Uchi-uke, kizami-zuki, maegeri, gyakuzuki (inner block, front snap punch, front kick, reverse punch)
- From kokutsu-dachi (back stance)
6. Shuto-uke, kizami-geri, zenkutsu-dachi nukite (knife hand block, front snap kick, into front stance spear hand strike)
- From zenkutsu-dachi (front stance)
7. Maegeri, mawashigeri, gyakuzuki, gedan-barai (front kick, roundhouse kick, reverse punch, downward block)
8. Maegeri, yokogeri-kekomi, gyakuzuki, gedan-barai (front kick, side thrust kick, reverse punch, downward block)
- From kiba-dachi (horse-riding stance)
9. Yokogeri-keage, yokogeri-kekomi (side snap kick, side thrust kick—different legs)
All basic movements are done to count on examiner’s command. Be prepared to demonstrate all of the above blocking combinations moving forwards and backwards.
Kime-Waza: Point focus technique—Gyakuzuki (reverse punch)
- Tokui kata (favorite kata—choose one of the “optional” sentei kata)
- Shitei kata (compulsory kata—examiner chooses one kata from the basic Shotokan kata)
Compulsory kata are Heian Shodan, Heian Nidan, Heian Sandan, Heian Yondan, Heian Godan and Tekki Shodan. Optional kata are Bassai-dai, Kanku-dai, Jion, Enpi, and Jitte.
- Jiyu ippon-kumite (free one-step sparring)
1. Jodan (head level) (Choose one out of four set defenses.)
2. Chudan (middle level) (Choose one out of four set defenses.)
3. Maegeri (front kick) (Choose one out of four set defenses.)
4. Yokogeri (side kick) (Choose one out of three set defenses.)
5. Mawashigeri (roundhouse kick) (Choose one out of three set defenses.)
6. Ushirogeri (back kick) (Choose one out of three set defenses.)
7. Kizami-zuki (front snap punch) (Choose one out of three set defenses.)
8. Gyakuzuki (reverse punch) (Choose one out of three set defenses.)
All defenses must be performed from left and right sides.
Additional content: Spirit Test
On a date prior to the actual test, the examinee will be asked to participate in a “Spirit test”. This test consists of nine 1-minute rounds of free sparring against different opponents for a total time of 9 minutes. The examinee is expected to show their stamina, fighting skill and their spirit during this test.
Note: For all black belt gradings, examinee must present all records of previous gradings up to and including examinee’s present level and the dates on which those gradings were taken and with whom. Failure to do so may result in examinee not being accepted for testing.