This video shows the three step sparring drills of sanbon kumite that are used in the SKIF system of Master Kanazawa. Part 1 includes number 1 & number 2, which is required content for yellow and orange belts.
Heian Sandan is the third of the Heian katas and introduces the horse stance (kiba-dachi). The path of the kata only goes forwards and sideways, there are no diagonals in this kata. This video shows the kata step by step with explanation.
Seventh to Sixth Kyu (Orange to Green Belt)
From zenkutsu-dachi (front stance), gedan-barai (downward block)
- Chudan oizuki (middle level front punch)
- Chudan gyakuzuki (middle level reverse punch)
- Age-uke, gyakuzuki (rising block, reverse punch)
- Soto-uke, gyakuzuki (outer block, reverse punch)
- Uchi-uke, gyakuzuki (inner block, reverse punch)
From kokutsu-dachi (back stance)
- Shuto-uke (knife hand block)
From zenkutsu-dachi (front stance)
- Maegeri (front kick)
- Mawashigeri (roundhouse kick)
From kiba-dachi (horse-riding stance)
- Yokogeri-keage (side snap kick)
- Yokogeri-kekomi (side thrust kick)
All basic movements are done to count on examiner’s command. For this test (orange to green belt) all of the block-punch combinations above must be performed moving forwards and backwards.
- Heian Shodan
- Heian Sandan
- Sanbon kumite (three-step sparring)
1. Number one sequence (left and right side)
2. Number two sequence (left and right side)