Gohon kumite means five-step sparring and in general includes two main types – one a jodan attack defended by age-uke (rising block), and two a chudan attack defended by soto-uke (outer block). This video shows both attacks and defences. Gohon kumite is usually studied at the beginner level but there are more advanced versions of this partner work drill.
Heian Shodan is the first of the Heian kata and often the first kata encountered in a Shotokan dojo. Sometimes Taikyoku Shodan is taught first but in general Heian Shodan is accepted as the beginner kata. This video takes the beginner through the kata one move at a time.
Tenth to Ninth/Eighth Kyu (White to Yellow Belt)
From zenkutsu-dachi (front stance), gedan-barai (downward block)
- Chudan oizuki (middle level front punch)
- Chudan gyakuzuki (middle level reverse punch)
- Jodan age-uke (head level rising block)
- Chudan soto-uke (middle level outer block)
From zenkutsu-dachi (front stance)
- Maegeri (front kick)
- Mawashigeri (roundhouse kick)
All basic movements are done to count on examiner’s command.
- Heian Shodan
- Gohon kumite (five-step sparring)
1. Jodan (head level)
2. Chudan (middle level)